Monday, July 7, 2008

Los Gallos - Bedford Mexican

The hunt continues. While headed through Bedford to the Metropark I noticed a new Mexican Restaurant at 630 Broadway Avenue, just as you head into Downtown Bedford. Plenty of parking and the building looks like it has been nicely restored. Inside it is typical Mexican restaurant decor, bright colors, festive hangings and painted fake bricks peaking through painted fake plaster. It looks OK, but certainly if you have been to a couple of these places, nothing you haven't seen before. I sat outside at the small patio, nice, but I get the feeling the plastic tables and chairs will not hold up over time. A nice little fountain is in the corner. We start with the chips and salsa and surprisingly a cup of coleslaw. The chips are ok, but not great and the salsa is good if very mild, a situation easily remedied with the hot sauce on the table. I am still not sure why I was given the Coleslaw, but it was fine, if nothing special. For lunch I had a vegetarian Chili Relleno platter which came with a Taco, beans and a Guacamole Salad. When brought out I was impressed with both the portion size and the presentation. The Chili Relleno was very large and looked great with a vivid red sauce and pepper and onion pieces. The Guacamole on top of the salad was a beautiful green and just perfectly gooey. The taste of the items did not live up to the high expectations created by the presentation. The Relleno, while good, was a bit bland and with the cheese inside overpowering the rest of the dish. The Guacamole lacked any punch or contrast, it seemed to be just avocado. On the whole the food was OK, but nothing special. To me it seemed underseasoned. Service was acceptable, with a minor glitch that was corrected after I called the waiter's attention to it. I did kind of find it strange to be addressed by the waiter as "My Friend", but that is just me. To wrap up, Los Gallos gets a general OK, yet another Mexican Restaurant that offers decent food at an OK price. If only the flavors lived up to how good the food looked coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment