Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jerusalem Grill - Falafel Hot Spot

One of my favorite foods is Falafel. When done right, it is the perfect vegetarian food, a wonderful mix of vegetables, fried balls and creamy sauce all nestled in a pita. So I had the yen for one the other day, and since it was a Monday I remembered that Jerusalem Grill near my house does a special with a full falafel and a can of pop for $4.99. Turns out to be a very good deal. Jerusalem Cafe at 14421 Cedar Rd S. Euclid, Ohio 44121 is located in one of the small shopping centers at the corners of Cedar and Green. A Kosher restaurant that serves meat (so no dairy is allowed), Jerusalem has falafel, shwarma (think gyro), hamburgers, chicken and middle eastern salads. The restaurant is a store front with tables up front and then a deli case and counter in back where all the food is prepared. They have at least tried to make the place look a bit nicer by painting the walls and decorating. Even if you don't keep Kosher or are not even Jewish, you should feel right at home. But the real question is how is the Falafel. Overall I found this to be one of the better Falafels in town. The falafel balls are prepared fresh to order, with the chickpea batter fried just about right. The texture is good, if a little heavy, with the outside crisp and the inside firm. Taste is good, if a little light on seasoning to my taste. However the rest of the sandwich more then made up for that; the Isreali Salad was crisp and fresh, the purple cabbage just a slight bit tart. Add on the Tahini and Shug (green hot sauce) and you have a fine combination of flavors that tickle the tounge. The pita was good and fresh, if a little undersized to handle all of the stuffings, in the end this was a bit messy to eat by hand, but that can be a good problem as long as you have a fork handy. So I know what will become a regular option on Mondays and any other day when I have a hankering for a Falafel, just down the street to Jerusalem Grill

1 comment:

  1. I loved this place when it was called Tiki's. I guess I haven't gone back because I don't want to lose those good memories. But were else can you get a chicken schnitzel pita sandwich? I'm destined to go back.

    The one thing I'm worried about is the quality of the pita. It's crucial. When I ate there, they used pita from Abba's which was head and shoulders above any other in Cleveland. Now that Abba's is gone, I don't know how they could source acceptable pita.

    ReplyDelete