Friday, September 18, 2009

Angie's Soul Cafe - Soul Food Nirvana

So Thursday night proved that sometimes you can really turn it around when things start heading way downhill. I headed down to Case Western Reserve University for a lecture that I wanted to hear; unfortunately I looked at the wrong thing on my Calendar and got to CWRU just before 5:00 for a 6:30 lecture. My first thought was to head over to the Art Museum and check out the new building; I have been meaning to get there since they reopened and this seemed like a good time. Of course, my luck held true as the Museum closes at 5:00 on Thursdays. So its now on to the next plan, luckily I remember that I have a gift certificate for La Dolce Via in Little Italy. I manage to wend my way through rush hour traffic to Little Italy and find a spot not too far from the restaurant. Of course it can't be that easy, I get to the restaurant a little after 5:00 to find out that La Dolce Via doesn't open until 5:30. I just don't feel like waiting and don't want to rush through dinner to make the 6:30 lecture, so its time for a new plan yet again. Feeling foolish, frustrated and a bit tense I am almost ready to just head home and call it a day. I've manged to find two different parking spaces in University Circle and Little Italy, no easy task even with the motorcycle; at this point I want a sure thing, something easy, quick and good. Then I remember that I've been heard some very good things about Angie's Soul Cafe and I have been wanting to give it a try for a while. Despite rush hour traffic I manage to make it to 7804 Carnegie (map here) with no major problems and that is when everything started going really right. Angie's has been around for a while and received some very good reviews. Fairly recently they moved from on Cedar to a nice storefront on Carnegie near East 79th Street. For me this is almost like a homecoming as my Father used to have his office a couple of doors down this very block. Its probably been more then 40 years, but the block has not changed that much, the buildings are still the same and Lancer's is still right across the street. So its with a nice little feeling of nostalgia that I pull into the little lot next to Angie's. Angie's is a nice clean place with a couple of big windows looking out at street. There is a small steam table and counter where you order. The menu is straightforward and reasonable (go here to view it). Looking at the menu, I wish I was there on a Friday or Saturday for the Fish and Waffle special (and I will be heading back to try that), instead I decide on the Catfish Dinner which comes with 2 sides ($10.50). I choose mac and cheese and collard greens and settle into to my table for the short wait while they make my fish. What comes to my table is one of the best plates of food I have had in quite a while. The catfish is two large fillets, cornmeal breaded and perfectly fried. The fish is exceptionally good, with a nice crisp exterior that doesn't overpower the moist slightly sweet fish inside. I don't think that Catfish could be fried any better than this. I have been trying fish at a couple of the soul food places around town (The Seafood Place Plus and CJ's Carryout on Noble Road) and this is the kind of fish I have been dreaming of. The Mac and Cheese was just what I wanted a classic prepared in the traditional way. Tender elbow macaroni is blanketed in a nicely balanced cheese sauce and baked so that the middle is still soft while the outside is crispy. The cheese sauce was excellent, with a clear taste of natural cheese balanced to not be too heavy. I have never had Collard Greens before, luckily they were made without any meat in them (I checked) and were a great compliment to the other items on the plate. The greens were cooked low and slow, resulting in a deep mellow taste with just a hint of bitterness, yet still retaining much of their texture. A really nice contrast to the fish and the mac and cheese, I finished my nice sized portion of greens. Also on the plate were two very nice corn muffins. I passed on the desserts which are displayed by where you order, but they looked homemade and very good. Maybe next time. Service was friendly and efficient, the room is simple and clean, the food is outstanding. Not at all a fancy place, but they make you feel welcome. Angie's is not just a easy place to recommend, but exactly the kind of place that inspired this blog in the first place. I know a lot of people might have second thoughts about going to eat at 79th and Carnegie, but the neighborhood is not that bad and Angie's is well worth it. You really should consider giving Angie's a try. They also have a second location located in the Plaza at the intersection of Lee and Harvard Roads. Try something different and homey you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment