Friday, June 13, 2008

Fat Taco - Bainbridge Mexican

UPDATED 6/24/2010 - I was by Fat Taco and apparently they are out of business.

Well I finally had a partial success in my inexpensive Mexican food quest. I think part of my ongoing hunt involves the loss of Que Tal on Coventry. Before it closed I could count on it for good, tasty, big and reasonably priced burritos. Well I may have found a pretty good substitute. Fat Taco at 8564 E. Washington Street in Bainbridge (the corner of E. Washington and Route 306 in the same little strip as Cowboy Food) is a very nice little Mexican fast food place. I have been here before, but it has been a while so I figured it was time to give them another try. Fat Taco is clean and simply but nicely decorated. You order at the front counter and you can eat inside or there are a couple of tables out front. The menu is not extensive; basically Burritos, Tacos, Nachos and Enchiladas, but the food is good and the portions are generous. I had the Fat Burrito; a vegetarian option which includes sweet potatoes, onions and peppers along with the rice, bean, lettuce, pica di gallo and cheese. The burrito was well made with generous fillings. I would note that while the menu described the onion and peppers as grilled, they seemed almost raw and the peppers were quite hot jalapeƱo slices. The overall taste was good, with a nice contrast between the sweet soft yams and the crunchy and hot peppers. I did need to add a combination of some hot sauce and taco sauce, but that is not unusual for me. Since it was Tuesday, I got the special, which is if you buy a burrito and a large drink, you get the chips and salsa free. The chips were obviously made in house, and while they may have sat for a day or two, they were good. The salsa was a nice fresh dice, with good flavor and texture, but it needed more heat. Overall, Fat Taco delivers high quality Mexican food at a reasonable price. While it may not knock your socks off, it will fill you up and satisfy your taste buds. If it were a sit down restaurant with a full menu my hunt might be over, but for now it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment