Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Jalapeno Loco - Mentor the Hunt Continues

In my ongoing hunt to satisfy my inexpensive Mexican food craving, I headed out to Jalapeno Loco in Mentor. Located at the end of the shopping center at the intersection of Route 306 and Mentor Avenue, Jalapeno Loco was one of my reliable stops for good, cheap Mexican food; the food was good if not terribly innovative and the prices and portions were right. The trip this time was made with some trepidation, as I had heard that the restaurant had been raided in April by Immigration for having illegal workers (see the PD story here: http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/120842112261840.xml&coll=2). I liked the place, but didn't want to support a business that is using illegal immigrants, plus losing a sizable portion of your employees will usually hurt the food. Walking in, the decor remains the same, standard Mexican Restaurant/faux Cantina style. Nothing wrong and the place is kept clean and in good shape. Well the raids have certainly had an effect. The wait staff has changed radically with most of the current servers being cute young American girls; my server was very nice and seemed aware that the food is not what it once was. We start with the chips and salsa, overall good, the chips if not fresh made are at least served warm and are crisp with a good taste; the salsa is ok, if a bit mild, but has a nice flavor. I ordered my usual favorite, the Chili Rellenos (although they are called something else on the menu) which are Poblano Peppers stuffed with cheese, battered and fried. The plate comes out with 2 nice looking peppers with rice and beans. The first hint of change is that while I am warned that the plate is hot, it is at best warm and everything on it is just warm. In addition, while the peppers are nice sized, the batter barely covers them and there is a dab of the red sauce that is suppose to cover them completely. The peppers are very mild, which happens from time to time, the cheese is good, but the overall balance of the dish is thrown way off without the proper covering and sauce. The rice is ok, if a bit bland; the refried beans have a decent flavor, but nothing special. My overall impression is a major step down from past visits. So once again I remain disappointed. The decor is nice, the service is good and the prices are right; but the food is a major disappointment, especially for a place that used to be a reliable, if unspectacular kitchen. Clearly some of those who were deported or arrested were key hands in the kitchen. The quest will continue, if you have a place you think has good affordable Mexican food, let me know so I can give it a try. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment